"Dictionary style" for abbreviation

Started by Peter2, May 26, 2015, 02:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter2

I have a package of information which is in "dictionary style: 'String A' is corresponding with 'String B'", e.g.

HouseHaus
USAUnited States of America
LispLots of insane ....
BMWBayrische Motorenwerke

Now I want to create "something" where the user can select the first string, clicks on it and the second string is copied to clipboard. At the moment I don't know what to use for "something"?

- a tree? Strongly structured, but no overview for the user
- a datagrid? Maybe the best way, but more complex to define
- a combo-box?

Any recommendations?

Thanks and bye
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

Fred Tomke

Hi, Peter, I would like to help - but I have problems to understand your goal.
Until now, I understood that the display value is something different to the usage value.
For the case you want to create a master-detailed list you can either create a tree, where the child nodes only appear when you open the parent node (for each level) or you create several comboboxes which are filling in depending of the selection of parent combobox.
Maybe you can give me some more hints.
Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Peter2

Good evening Fred

the question is related to the other topic with the grid. The basic behind of it are special Unicode-characters, they have a description and a Unicode, like

Code (autolisp) Select
Arrows:
Arrow up, small       \u+1234
Arrow down, wide     \u+1235
Greek:
Greek Omega    \u+6666
Greek Phi          \u+6667
Latin:

This list exists as a text file, and I want to offer it to the users in a more intelligent way. The user searches want he needs ("Greek Omega") - clicks the entry - the code behind it ("\u+6666") is copied to the clipboard and the user can paste it without typing.

Now I'm thinking about the ways to reach it - there are some possibilities inside OpenDCL (see above), and I'm looking for some opinions.
Peter

roy_043

The Windows program charmap.exe may be inspiring in terms of GUI design.

Peter2

That would be fine, but it is far beyond my knowledge and the time that I can spend  ;)
Peter