Sharing my project

Started by rlstanford, April 02, 2009, 09:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlstanford

I have made an OpenDCL project and now I want others to use the project. How do I do that without installing OpenDCL on 15 different computers?
Thanks,
-Russell

owenwengerd

You need to install OpenDCL Runtime at the same time (and presumably in the same way) that you install your application.

rlstanford

Thanks. I was trying to get around going to each computer.
I would think there is a way to copy a couple of arx files and load them as opposed to running an msi. Is that possible?
-Russell

owenwengerd

It's possible to copy files manually, but it's fraught with peril for several reasons. If you search the forum, you should turn up several threads where this has been discussed in the past. Assuming your computers are networked, there are any number of ways to deploy the runtime MSI without going to each computer. I'm no expert on network administration, but there is a lot of information available on the internet about how to perform network deployments.

BazzaCAD

If you're project is for in-house use only & you don't use any other ODCL projects from the outside, then yes you can copy the runtime to your network. But as Owen said, it comes with a big warning. If someone installs anther ODCL project form the outside, they may have issues loading your app in the future. Also if you're running multiple versions of Acad in your office you'll have to code to handy that. If you understand all these warnings and still wish to processed, then the beast thing to do is copy the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OpenDCL" and all it's contents including the sub-folders onto your network and load from there. See the "ManualLoading.lsp" file in the "C:\Program Files\OpenDCL Studio\ENU\Samples" (Typical ENU install folder) to handle loading of multiple Acad versions.

Again, as Owen said there are a lot of easy ways to install the runtime. Ask your IT person, if you have one, to add it to the login script or use some other deployment software to handle it.
a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom